- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Premium Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed to use bottom 2- to 3-inches
- 1 piece (about 1-inch) fresh galangal root, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Red Chili Paste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed Substitutions available
- 1 can (15 ounces) straw mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai chilies, chopped
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
BRING broth, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, lemon grass, galangal and lime leaves to boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
STIR in chili paste until well blended. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and chilies; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in tomato. Remove lemon grass, galangal and lime leaves before serving.
If preparing with shrimp or tofu, simmer broth for 25 minutes before adding chili paste. Add shrimp or tofu along with mushrooms. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes; just until shrimp turn pink or tofu is heated through.
TO SERVE, ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
If you have any recipe requirements that you would like us to publish please email [email protected]